Wrongful Death Lawyers
Wrongful Death Law Firm Gordon and Gordon in Shreveport, Bossier City and Mansfield Louisiana
Helping those who have been injured due to the fault of another in a wrongful death.
Losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence is one the most difficult experiences that a person can go through and it is something that you should not have to bear alone. It is also not something you should suffer for financially in addition to the emotional suffering you are already facing. If you have lost someone you love because of someone else’s recklessness or negligence, you may be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit.
The top Shreveport personal injury lawyers at Gordon & Gordon are familiar with wrongful death claims and what it takes to achieve maximum compensation for the friends and family of the deceased.
What Causes a Wrongful Death?
- Car Accidents – Distracted drivers, drunk or impaired drivers, aggressive drivers, road construction and pedestrian fatalities are among the leading causes of death in America, and the most common causes of wrongful death lawsuits.
- 18-Wheeler Accidents – Semi truck and other commercial truck accidents are typically much more serious than private vehicles because of their larger weight and size. Due to the basic laws of physics, big rig accidents often result in serious, or even fatal, injuries.
- Bicycle or Motorcycle Accidents – Motorcycles are so much smaller in both size and weight; as a result, an impact with larger vehicles can result in the motorcycle being pinned against another vehicle, thrown off of the road, or worse, into oncoming traffic.
- Medical Malpractice – When medical professionals fail to provide the required level of care resulting in the death of a patient, the family may seek a wrongful death lawsuit based on facts that indicate a possible prescription error, misdiagnosis, emergency room error, surgical injury, misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis, or even a medical equipment malfunction caused the death.
- Products Liability – The designers, manufacturers, distributors, and sellers of products must minimize the risk of harm from their products to the public. A death that results from a faulty design, defective manufacturing process, or failure to warn of possible injuries or death can be the basis for a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Work Related Accidents – Any death that occurs in the workplace as a result of company negligence can be the basis of a wrongful death lawsuit, and these commonly include illness due to unsafe work environments, fires or explosions, faulty equipment, or improper training and machine related incidents.
What Steps Should You Take Following a Wrongful Death?
It can seem impossible to think clearly after a family member’s death. In the face of such emotional trauma, it is difficult to consider the financial implications of the loss. Often, a wrongful death puts an entire family’s finances in jeopardy – especially when the deceased is a primary source of income. If your loved one was a victim of wrongful death, it is important that you take these three steps to protect your interests:
- Identify Who Will Make the Wrongful Death Claim.
Louisiana Article 2315.2 stipulates that the surviving spouse or children may make a wrongful death claim on behalf of the family. However, if a spouse or child is not able to make the claim, either the deceased’s parents or a personal representative of the deceased’s estate may do so instead.
- Compile the Necessary Documentation.
You will need all of the necessary documents to make a wrongful death claim: the death certificate, the Office of the Medical Investigator report, and any incident reports related to the death. Your personal injury attorney will help you gather this documentation, as well as proof of income, and any other supporting documents to prove damages, liability, and negligence.
- Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer.
Wrongful death cases are notoriously difficult to win. Even when negligence and liability are obvious, calculating damages is a complicated process. Your personal injury attorney may use testimonies from financial and medical experts to support your claim. Your lawyer will also help you avoid mistakes that would reduce your final recovery or prevent you from recovering any compensation at all.
Why Should You Hire a Wrongful Death Lawyer?
We know that money is no substitute for a lost loved one, but we know that a measure of justice can help to provide closure and peace. On behalf of spouses and children and possibly others, we pursue:
- Economic damages – property damage, medical expenses, loss of future earnings and support, etc.
- Non-economic damages – pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of household services, etc.
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Survivor actions